Wednesday, September 20, 2017

~QUOTATION FOR THE DAY...





For some reason, this quote came to mind around the time I was editing some photos I had taken of a mason jar full of flowers that my sister gave me for my birthday.  

I decided to put the quote on one of my pics, and instead of trying to look through some of my books in order to locate it, I decided to try to look it up online by doing a search with some of the words I remembered from it--I did not recall the author of the quote, by the way.

After googling for a while, I came up with nothing, so I thought, oh no, I wonder how long it's going to take me to find it, as I have a number of books it could have been in.

Blessedly, I found it right away, its page number and brief description scribbled down on a scrap of paper that I opened right up to in the first book I tried.

Now having the author's name, I decided to google it again, and it was then that I discovered why the wanted words weren't coming up...

It was because the quote is actually a paraphrase of a few lines from an extremely long poem (or poem duo), so the words are different in each.  At a later date, I did end up finding this link, with a quote that's almost exactly the same as mine.

You'll find info about the poem, "Christmas-Eve and Easter-Day," here and here.

Here are links to both parts of the poem.

The source of my quote is found in lines 289-295 of Section V of the "Christmas-Eve" part of the poem.  I'll post that section below...

"But also, God, whose pleasure brought
Man into being, stands away
As it were a handbreadth off, to give
Room for the newly-made to live,
And look at him from a place apart,
And use his gifts of brain and heart,
Given, indeed, but to keep for ever."



~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment