Thursday, February 10, 2011

~#3 IN A WEEK OF POSTS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY


            

One year, christianitytoday.com asked singles to share how God had reminded them of His love for them on Valentine's Day. The article was entitled, "Valentines from Heaven." The following is what one girl wrote....

The night before Valentine's Day, I attended my church's Wednesday night service.  In his closing prayer, our pastor asked God to bless and comfort those of us who are single and who might struggle with loneliness on Valentine's Day.  As we prepared to leave the church, the pastor said to the singles, "Always remember Who loved you first."

The next day was Valentine's Day, and not only did I not have any special plans to look forward to, but my entire day was extremely hectic and not particularly pleasant.  After a long day at work and a long drive home, I exited my car in the parking garage and headed into my condominium lobby, desperately fighting back feelings of loneliness.  I kept repeating to myself, "Remember Who loved you first.  God loves me even if no one else does."

When I opened the lobby door, I noticed that leaning on a small ledge against the wall was one of those little cards that usually comes with a flower arrangement.  The card was blank except for the words "I LOVE YOU" imprinted in bold black ink next to a picture of a bouquet of red roses.  My eyes filled with tears of joy and the loneliness fled.  While the practical side of me argued that it was just an extra card left over from someone else's Valentine's Day gift, the spiritual side of me somehow knew it was a special message sent to remind me of the One who loved me first.

~ ~ ~

"God will look to every soul like its first love
because He is its first love."
~C.S. Lewis, in The Four Loves~

           

No comments:

Post a Comment