Wednesday, March 23, 2016

~AN EOS EASTER




I recently espied several cute Easter egg-like eos lip balms at Target and then subsequently came across Easter cards on pinterest that incorporate these fun, all-natural treats.

I bought a few of them that have striped exteriors, as this pattern adds to their Easter egg-likeness, and set to work making some cards of my own.




First I did a google search for printable rabbit and flower templates and clicked on the "Images" tab to see the results.  I was happy that I had some decorative paper on hand that I thought would work color- and pattern-wise for the cards I had in mind.  

I recommend doubling up and affixing the top decorative paper layer to a piece of cardstock (either in the same or a different shape, such as a square) in order to make the cards stiffer since these lip balms have some weight to them--that way, the cards won't flop around as much after the balms are glued on.  I think double-sided tape or glue dots work better as an adhesive for two pieces of paper than liquid glue, as there's sometimes a bubbling-up effect with liquid glue.  




Vintage, mother-of-pearl buttons made sweet bunny eyes.




To give my cards some dimension, I put adhesive foam dots under the small pieces of paper that have text on them--that way, they stand up off the surface they're on.  Here's a close-up shot of these handy little things.










I used decorative paper in a check pattern for this bunny's ears and some scruffy twine for his whiskers ☺.






A final tip I have is that if water-soluble glue (such as Elmer's Glue-All) is used to adhere the balms to the paper, then a quick dip in warm water would probably make it very easy to simply peel the glue off the bottom of the balm after it's taken off the card.  Just set the balm upright in a bit of water for about ten minutes.

Everyone on pinterest cut holes in their cards and then put the balms through them, opening them and screwing them onto the paper, but I think a simple glue worked better for mine since it allows them to lie flat (and on a couple of my cards the balm hangs off the edge, so I'm not sure if it would have worked for those anyway, as they might not have held).  Furthermore, I don't have a circle cutter, and my X-Acto Knife is ornery, so that method didn't really appeal to me.


Hoppy Easter everyone!!!

~ ~ ~

*Here are links to some other eos Easter treats on pinterest...


~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment