Wednesday, October 19, 2016

~SWEET EATS




I recently tried a kind of apple I've never had: 
the SweeTango

It was so tasty-good, I was dancing with glee!

Its texture was juicier than a Gala's but still very crisp, and its flavor was sweet tart-like. Yum.

I was happy to have stumbled upon these apples at my local Food Lion, though it appeared they were a temporary fall specialty there.  At about $1.50 each, they were more expensive than the "regulars," such as Red Delicious.

I read that 7,500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world, while 2,500 are grown in the US.  But, only 100 are grown commercially here.

Here's a directory of apples by name that includes descriptions of each one.

Here's an article about heirloom apples, via the Wall Street Journal: "Before the Mac, Vintage Apples"







~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment