Friday, November 2, 2012

~POEM FOR THE DAY




MY "PATCH OF BLUE"
~By Mary Newland Carson~

There's a bit of sky across the street
Which I have learned to love,
One end of it rests on the house tops high,
The other on the heavens above.
It looks most beautiful at times
And has been such a comfort, too,
That when I look thro' my windowpane
I call it my "Patch of Blue."

When I think of God's great universe
With its vast expanse of sky,
And of those who can roam from sea to sea
Without a thought of why
This wondrous joy is given to them
By a God so kind and true,
I wonder if they are quite as glad
As I, for my "Patch of Blue."

I call it mine: God's gift to me,
From September until June.
It heals my hurt; it warms my heart;
And I'm sure that very soon
The lesson that it teaches me
Will warm me thro' and thro';
For it seems as though God's blessed smile
Shines thro' my "Patch of Blue."

I've seen it when light, fleecy clouds
Went scurrying 'cross its face
And made that tiny bit of sky
Look like a bit of lace.
I've also seen the storm clouds burst,
And winds go rushing thro',
But I always knew that once again
I'd see my "Patch of Blue."

I've watched it when the wintry snows
Had hidden it from sight,
But I have known full well that soon
It would once more be bright.
When sunset drops her curtain down
She turns to golden hue
That little bit of lovely sky
That was my "Patch of Blue."

When I lie upon my bed at night,
With a heart full of pain and fear,
I think of the twinkling stars out there
That shine so bright and clear.
I think of the radiant, glorious moon
Shining the whole night thro',
And I know that the morning sun will bring
Once more my "Patch of Blue."

I've looked across that bit of sky
As the twilight hour drew near,
And thought of one in that "Great Beyond"
Who was to me most dear.
He was such a very little lad,
Only four years old,
When he passed the portals thro'
And he's still waiting for me there
Beyond my "Patch of Blue."

There are other dear ones over there
Whose journey here is o'er.
I shall see them sometime, somewhere,
At rest on the shining shore.
Dear Lord! Please help my life to be
So patient, kind and true
That when at last my race is run
I can cross my "Patch of Blue."

And then one day--when I tried to look
I found I could not see.
In my despair I cried aloud,
"O God--it cannot be
That I must nevermore enjoy
This precious, precious view,
That I must learn to do without
My little 'Patch of Blue.'"

Oh! Friend o' mine! Are you shut in?
Does your life seem hard to bear?
Does your heart grow sick with longing
For the joys you once could share?
"I'll go with you," saith the Master,
And his promises are true;
So we're sure that in His blessed arms
We'll find our "Patch of Blue."



*Source of images

 ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment