Monday, April 30, 2012

~A WEEKEND JAUNT BRINGS UNEXPECTED BLESSINGS ☺




This past Friday night, my mom and I swung by Snoopy's to get some dinner (1.5 hotdogs for each of us with mustard, chili, and onions), along with fries (of course).  Afterward, we headed over to a Barnes & Noble branch we had never visited.  It's larger than the one we usually go to; in fact, it's HUGE--two-storied with an escalator.  In any case, we picked out some magazines to take upstairs and read, as they have a few tables and chairs up there (oh how I miss Borders--they had a sitting area right by the magazines, along with upholstered chairs stuck in cozy nooks throughout the store).  But, as it turns out, the Christianity section is also on the 2nd floor, so it's all good ☺.  Anyway, my mom discovered a magazine with which we weren't familiar.  It's called life:beautiful, and it turns out it's first publication year was 2007.  I wonder if they sell back issues ☺.

When we were ready to leave the store, mom and I went back downstairs and began threading our way between tables that had books stacked on them in order to get to the check-out counter.  She was walking in front of me, and she must have brushed up against a book on one of the tables because it fell onto the floor at my feet.  I bent over to pick it up and quickly scanned the front and back covers.  I ascertained that it was a book about a Christian doing mission work in Africa, and when I got home, I looked it up.

The book is entitled, Kisses from Katie, and to say it's an inspiring story would be a gross understatement.  Visit Amazima Ministries ("Amazima" means "truth" in Lugandan, which is the major language of Uganda).  Afterward, you must read through Katie's blog (this is a different blog than the one that's linked from the ministry web site). In addition, here are several youtube videos which are amazing to watch. I think we'd all agree that this is life beautiful indeed ♥.

On a different note, today I emailed a friend of my mother's and mine and told him all about this book and that I thought he would really enjoy it.  This is what he wrote back:

Cristy, this is so weird! Right now I'm in the back yard reading Kisses from Katie.  I got it yesterday from the library.  I'm currently on the 4th chapter.  God is so good!  Sounds as if we are on the same page (almost literally, haha!).

And, on a bit of a silly note, when I type "a-m-a-z" into my internet browser search field, I'm now taken to Amazima Ministries, whereas before I was taken to amazon.com.  And that's most certainly fine by me ☺

















*I had wondered why Katie has adopted girls only--no boys (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, but the question did cross my mind).  Then I read on Katie's blog that as a single woman, she cannot legally adopt boys.

~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment